Garner Scholar Award
The Garner Scholar Award is awarded to those students that qualify to become members of the Garners Scholar Program. This program is available to all eligible rising or incoming 9th graders*. The award is based on the cumulative Middle School performance with a heavy focus on the 8th grade year. Students are evaluated and invited into the Garner Scholars Program based on the following criteria:
- Middle School 8th grade fall term (semester) unweighted GPA of 4.0 or higher
- Must be enrolled in at least three honors or accelerated courses
- Earn no lower than a grade of B+ in all honors or accelerated courses
- Have no grade lower than a B- in elective and non-honor courses
- In addition to high academic achievement, students must have a conduct record aligned with the core values of Miami Country Day School.
Students awarded the Garner Scholar Award will receive recognition and funds to supplement academic enrichment opportunities, such as The AI Program (with Stanford University), Social Innovators Program (with the University of Pennsylvania), summer academic acceleration, X-term, GATEway, or it can also be applied towards tuition.
Tuition assistance is available to families who demonstrate financial need through the tuition assistance application process and can be awarded in addition to the Garner Scholar Award. Please click here to learn more.
Note: There is no application process for this program and award. *Current MCDS 9th grade students will be re-evaluated against the criteria at the end of the fall term for final consideration for entrance into the program.