IMPORTANT WEATHER ALERT PROTOCOLS
There are two types of weather alerts; Weather Caution and Severe Weather Alert.
The determination between Caution and Severe Alert will be based on the proximity and intensity of the storm based on Thor Guard readings. Both will require stopping outside activities until the all clear signal is given. The Caution will allow swift move from building to building during passing times and may even allow for drop-off, pick-up procedures to continue. The Severe Alert will require everyone to remain undercover at all times with no outside movement what so ever.
The announcements will be as follows:
Attention please, Weather Caution in effect, I repeat, Weather Caution in effect. Immediately stop any outside activity and seek shelter. Swift movement of students from building to building is permitted during passing times only.
Attention please, Severe Weather Alert in effect, I repeat, Severe Weather Alert in effect. Immediately seek shelter and stay undercover until further notice. Passing between buildings is strictly prohibited!
A Weather Alert will be called when there is imminent danger of someone being struck by lightning. Please be advised that a weather alert may affect morning traffic flow, afternoon traffic flow, break, and/or lunch.
We strongly discourage parents/guardians from picking up a child when a Weather Alert is in progress. Please remain in your vehicle until the all clear signal is given.
The School will communicate the following information when a Weather Alert is called via our website and in form of an email/text blast instantly reaching our community at large.
When Miami Country Day School is under a Severe Weather Alert:
1. Students are undercover and safe from harm.
2. Students are not permitted to be outside and will not be released (even at the end of the day) until the weather caution is announced or the all clear signal is given.
3. Given the severe weather, we don’t encourage you to pick up your child until the all clear signal is given.
4. If you MUST pick up your child, you may do so at your own risk by following the appropriate divisional sign out procedures.
A. Lower School – parents must park and walk to their child’s homeroom class to sign out their child.
B. Upper and Middle School:
1. Before dismissal – Parents must park and visit the appropriate divisional office to sign out their child. Students will ONLY be released to his/her respective parent/guardian. A phone call or email will not suffice for sign out purposes.
2. After dismissal time - Parents must park and walk to their child’s last classroom. If you don’t know the location of your child’s last classroom, visit the divisional office for assistance. Other students may be released to another parent/driver/guardian at dismissal time as long as the teacher receives verbal confirmation from the parent by phone. A signature will be required to assume responsibility of the student(s) he/she will be signing out during a weather alert.